A place for my random thoughts, anecdotes and reflections of what I see and experience in this lifetime.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Water squirters and discipline

Went to the Anzac Day Parade in Ipswich yesterday with Warren and family. Grand-dad, along with cousins Alex, Nicole and Mitchell were marching. It's an honour to witness such a great event not having any war veterans in my own family. Although I witnessed the VP 50 celebrations in Townsville back in 1995 which was much larger (celebrating 50 years since the end of WWII), actually seeing people that will be a part of my family participating in the event, gave me that extra feeling of emotion.

As the ceremony was held in the sun, all the cadets had to be periodically squirted in the face and neck with water, along with ice cubes for sucking on. A few people I saw required medical attention but that is not surprising at events such as this. Quote from Warren's mum- "Now this is the time every year that we get to see people fall over like trees."

The older air force personnel faired well in the heat, with no water squirters and being disciplined for much of the ceremony. However the cadets did not fair as well. When they had to come to attention, most had to struggle to get up from the ground from which they were sitting on. (legs fall asleep)

From someone who was a cadet himself, he saw it as an absolute disgrace. (EDIT- no, this is not me, as I couldn't possibly see myself as a cadet in any shape or form)

1 comment:

Joshi said...

i was just trying to imagine you with the whole uniform and funny hat!