A place for my random thoughts, anecdotes and reflections of what I see and experience in this lifetime.

Monday, March 28, 2005

Culture Club

I went out to lunch with a fomer work colleague of mine at Sunnybank today.
I was standing outside the Little Taipei fruit shop and watching various people wandering in and out of the shop and the Food Court upstairs. Young couples (not sure if they were DINKS), young families, senior citizens with their little trolleys, some starving high school/uni students and the occasional mixed couple. (Caucasian and an Asian counterpart). Although I don't eat out that often, I do realise that many Caucasian people go to Sunnybank for food. I even saw an entire family (mum, dad and teenage kids) wander into the Food Court upstairs. I know it's not that uncommon but it is living proof that a cross-cultural environment exists quite well. That is, an acceptance of people who come from different backgrounds, upbringing and food groups. Obviously a line can be drawn at eating snakes and water beetles (which I don't think we sell here anyway), but in saying "Hey, your culture is different, and I accept and can live with that" is an encouraging prospect.

No comments: