A place for my random thoughts, anecdotes and reflections of what I see and experience in this lifetime.

Sunday, April 16, 2006

First catch

Just recently I have been drawn again to the idea of fishing. Some people find it surprising that I would be interested in such a blokey pastime. I guess that was because I was brought up in Nth Qld, which boasts some of the best reef and estuary fishing in this country. (as well as cyclones)

I like fishing. Even more so if I actually catch anything.

I don't remember the last fish I caught. It must have been a silver bream up at Sweers Island, a small island in the Gulf of Carpentaria which is only accessible by a twin-engine (in our case, a single-engine) plane from Karumba. The route was quite scenic, however the thought of the engine on the little plane carrying 7 people over the big wide open sea suddenly failing kept our minds otherwise preoccupied.

*brain-wave*

Forgetting the last paragraph, I do believe the last fish caught was an undersize sand whiting off Wellington Point a couple of years back. Undersize being the size of a bait fish species. Thinking that I had more chance of getting something with live bait, I threw it back in.....only to promptly lose the bait as it somehow managed to unhook itself and swim away.

Another thing that I was thinking about last night.....if there are any fishing enthusiasts who actually read this blog, are there benefits of using a bait-caster, rather than an Alvey or spin-combo? I've only ever used the last two.

2 comments:

Joshi said...

baitcastors are for boats arent they? its just so u can drop the bait and sinker straight down and up easily. I use the spin combos cos they are the best. Rex hunt said so!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great time had by all J :D

Kendall