A place for my random thoughts, anecdotes and reflections of what I see and experience in this lifetime.

Saturday, June 06, 2009

Should I go to a music festival?

I'm in a dilemma....well sort of....but not sure.

Believe it or not I have been following quite closely "Empire of the Sun", an Australian electro-pop duo comprising of 2 men: one from Sleepy Jackson and the other from PNAU.

I've been waiting for their tour announcement for months. Whilst the answer has been provided, the environment of which this is to happen is somewhat not what I expected.

They aren't actually doing a tour, but performing at a music festival later this year called 'Parklife'.

http://www.parklife.com.au/

I'm clearly not a die-hard music guru unlike some people I know, hehe, but when I think of music festivals I think of:

- Young Girls (wearing skimpy tops)
- Young Boys (wearing more sophisticated 'wife-bashers', checking out young girls wearing skimpy tops)
- Sunburn
- Dehydration
- Alcohol (and lots of it)
- Rowdy Crowds

Think Big Day Out, Splendour in the Grass, Sound Relief, Sunset Sounds, V Festival and Good Vibrations.

To sum it up- rather Non-Christian environment.

Being the person that I am I will feel quite out of place, but I would really like to see this group perform live.

*scratches head* What should I do?

3 comments:

DanielS said...

Hey J,

I'm not sure if I understand where the dilemma lies. Is your concern that because of the things mentioned that it won't be enjoyable, that being in that context is of concern for your godliness, or that young Christians who look up to you might take this as tacit approval of the sort of things you've mentioned?

Jan said...

It's probably more the environment that I "think" a music festival has.
I've never been to one so am probably stereotyping abit, but I'd imagine some behaviour that occurs is not appropriate, and that's is definitely something I don't want to be seen advocating.

What I haven't mentioned (which I only found out AFTER posting this) is the price. (Circa $140 a pop)

So I think my real problem is whether I want to pay that much money to see the headline act for say 1 hour and then go home.

DanielS said...

yep, that last point is the killer for festivals for me. Super expensive, and if you're only going for one or two bands, they'll play really short sets and you'll spend the rest of the day in the sun and heat.

Better off seeing when them next time they play a normal gig around town (which surely must be all the time, they are Australian).