A place for my random thoughts, anecdotes and reflections of what I see and experience in this lifetime.

Monday, January 30, 2006

The Beach

It's been at least 4 years since I've swam at a beach. (Trying to paddle a canoe at Tangalooma or the occasional toe-dipping does not count)

What better way to celebrate Australia Day than going down to the beach of choice: Southport.

The waves were quite rough and strong for someone like me, although I was coaxed out into the deeper section of the waves so as to avoid the impact of the breaking waves on the shoreline. That did make a lot of sense.

However, that only lasted about 5 minutes, as I've forgotten how salty sea-water was, and whilst also feeling "bobbing water fatigue" starting to set in, I then allowed myself to be thrusted back to the seashore in a tumbling heap, to watch little kids on their boogie-boards riding the mini-waves.

Now you simply cannot go the beach without having a serving of freshly-made fish & chips.

We were bitterly disappointed however, to find out that Southport had nothing of the sort, apart from the Surf Club (which welcomed visitors, but not those in thongs or shorts), so therefore we had to be content with chicken & chips and sandwiches instead at a highly-inflated upmarket-ish convenience store.

No comments: