A place for my random thoughts, anecdotes and reflections of what I see and experience in this lifetime.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Ha! I kill me! ALF

I couldn't believe that so many of my friends (well, ahem, probably more like 2 male friends in particular) have a fetish (?) for all things 80s. Another quite bizarre thing is that both these friends have claimed or are claiming to be Asian. (one's Russian, the other German :)One of them has been giving me subliminal hints about going to swing dancing classes at Southbank on Wednesday nights.

I was planning on visiting the Brisbane Jive Club which meets at the local bowls club just up the road, but then doing jive at an old bowls club which has deteriorating membership (so I'm told) seems a bit out of place. (Anyone seen the movie Crackerjack?) At least Southbank has a bit more "oomph" in it's surroundings.

We also taught a bunch of Caucasians the brilliant game of Mahjong on Friday night. Although they failed to miss the point that when you shuffle the tiles it is meant to be LOUD!!!! YOu also are meant to SLAM down the tiles in frustration when you lose or have thrown out a tile you should have kept earlier and say "Aiya!"

Apparently mahjong tiles have another use: poker chips, as witnessed by 11:30pm that same night, being played by said German, an engineer, high school manual arts teacher and full-time bible college student.

3 comments:

Joshi said...

I don't know why we are all being conned into swing dancing... (looks disappointedly at sel..). non asians playing mahjong... everyone wants to be asian ahaha :P

Jan said...

Get the hint joshi: swing will hot up the dancefloor at the formal :D

Joshi said...

lol my formal is BEFORE the swing thing.... and i am teh SWING KING SUPER-STAAA :D:D:D