A place for my random thoughts, anecdotes and reflections of what I see and experience in this lifetime.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Perusal Time

I hate exams. All the efforts leading up to 3 hours and 15 mins of immense concentration.

I must admit though that the location of this latest exam sitting was in an unusual place- a function room in a motel up at Boondall. Surely the professional association has enough funds to find a more central location. I'm paying $XXXXX in membership fees and course fees to them for crying out loud!

Whatever happened to the Exhibition Centre? ( have recently been informed that there is gardening expo there this week.....even better!! Why not sit your exam in a comfortable outdoor chair and patio table (large enough for all your books, folders, notes etc to be spread out) with the smell of blood and bone wafting through the room?

hmmm...I guess not.

Anyway, I walked into the room with 70 other people and noticed that only 55 tables were labelled there. What happened to seat no 68? (Yes, I'm an W now, not an M, which made it interesting when I was finding my name on the seating chart..........4th last on the sheet!) I then had to ask where my seat was, just to make sure it wasn't accidentally placed in the lush garden path of the motel complex. I was kindly told that I was in the "other" room. Fine then, so I wandered across the courtyard to the "other" room and was met with 2 very cheerful exam supervisors. The leftovers (surnames from W to Y) were all here, about 12 people. Great.

One thing that lightened up the first 5 minutes before the exam, was the supervisor drolling on about what we cannot do during perusal time. I had this argument earlier in the week with someone who insisted that you can use your fingernails to mark/imprint the exam paper during perusal. I disagreed with him, but was unsure if that was ever the case back at uni.

Lesson learnt for the day- even fingernail markings are not allowed in perusal time, according to this professional association.

No comments: