A place for my random thoughts, anecdotes and reflections of what I see and experience in this lifetime.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Exercising the Jaw and Mind

Started studying the book of Joshua in one-to-one this week. I like grappling with OT text, history, and it never ceases to amaze me to see God's amazing promises made back in Genesis 12 come to fruition.

It's easier to see the events as they are written, living this side of the cross and to have the privilege and freedom of studying the Bible in this way. The temptation of reading it (esp OT narratives) like a story without additional "chewing" wouldn't be helpful though.
Chewing a passage is good. There are the dangers of putting your own interpretation to it and leaving it as it is, without asking for God's wisdom in understanding the passage. Above all, He knows best. All you need to do is ask.

No matter how many times you read a book or a passage, there's always something that was always there, that you probably wouldn't have noticed previously.

I guess you could say that biblical theology along with systematic bible teaching is one of my passions for learning and teaching. However I've felt that I have somewhat back-slided in my zeal for God and become lukewarm. (cf Rev 3:14 about the church in Laodicea) I need to become hot again, and the only way that would be possible, is to make some major changes in my life.

3 comments:

Joshi said...

That's right you all read my book!!! my book is the best :P Joshua 1:9 "i have commanded you to be strong and brave. Don't be afraid or discouraged, for I amd the Lord your God, and I will be with you whereever you go" I learnt that from sunday school hehehehe. anyway... Go JOSHUUUAAAAA!!!! (both of them)

Jan said...

I KNEW you'd be patriotic about this one :D

Joshi said...

JOSHUA WON THE BATTLE OF JERICHO!! JERICHO!! LALALALALALALA! GO ME!! and go JOSHUA!!! (thats me too...but i better give my namesake some credit)